Impulse Momentum Exam 1 and Problem Solutions
1. An object travels with a velocity 4m/s to the east. Then, its direction of motion and magnitude of velocity are changed. Picture given below shows the directions and magnitudes of velocities. Find the impulse given to this object. I=F.Δt=Δp=m.ΔV
2. Ball having mass 4kg and velocity 8m/s travels to the east. Impulse given at point O, makes it change direction to north with velocity 6m/s. Find the given impulse and change in the momentum. Initial and final momentum vectors of ball are shown in the figure below. P₁=m.V₁=4kg.8m/s=32kg.m/s
ΔP=P₂+P₁ (vector addition)
Impulse=change in momentum
3. Find the impulse and force which make 12m/s change in the velocity of object having 16kg mass in 4 s.
4. Applied force vs. time graph of object is given below. Find the impulse of the object between 0-10s. Area under the force vs. time graph gives us impulse.
5. A ball having mass 500g hits wall with a10m/s velocity. Wall applies 4000 N force to the ball and it turns back with 8m/s velocity. Find the time of ball-wall contact.